Are you looking for a speaker or workshop leader?
Sylvia Bernstein, President and Founder
Sylvia Bernstein has dedicated her life to spreading the good news about aquaponics. She would be delighted to speak to your group or lead a hands-on workshop, on a variety of topics related to growing plants and fish together.
An experienced speaker and internationally recognized expert on aquaponic gardening, Sylvia’s speaking style is warm, friendly, and interactive. She can cover aquaponics-related topics from the 10,000 feet level all the way down to the step-by-step, depending on the event type, time alloted, audience and need. She comes equipped with a colorful and professional PowerPoint presentation that is entertaining, educational and customized to your group’s event.
“About 50 people listened intently and were greatly informed and inspired by Sylvia’s presentation connecting education, community, and inspiration in aquaponics at the Sweet Water Winter Workshop One in Milwaukee today.”
James Godsil, Co-Founder, Sweet Water Organics, Milwaukee, WI
- Author of the best selling book “Aquaponic Gardening: A Step by Step Guide to Growing Vegetables and Fish Together” by New Society Publishers. (Ranked #1 on Amazon.com’s Best Selling Gardening and Horticulture books)
- President and Founder, The Aquaponic Source, Inc., the only company in the North America dedicated entirely to the home aquaponic gardener.
- Writes the internationally recognized and widely read Aquaponic Gardening Blog
- Runs Aquaponic Gardening Community, the largest North American based online community site dedicated to aquaponic gardening
- Chairman of the U.S. Chapter of the Aquaponics Association
Sylvia can cover a wide range of aquaponics-related topics and would happily work with you to customize a topic tailored to your audience. Here are some ideas from her “One Fish at a Time” series to get the conversation started.
Saving Our Global Food System,
Growing Your Own Food,
Ending the Fish Crisis,
Recent Speaking Examples
- Presenter, Mother Earth News Fair at Seven Springs Resort, Pennsylvania
- Featured Speaker, 2011 Aquaponics Association Conference, Orlando, FL
- Keynote Address, Sweet Water Organics Winter Workshop, “Education, Inspiration and Community Building in Aquaponics”
- Presenter, ProGreen Expo, Denver, CO, 2011 & 2012
- Instructor, Denver Botanic Gardens
- Instructor, LifeLong Learning
- Instructor, Lyons Farmette Permaculture Academy
- Keynote Speaker, Colorado Water Gardening Society
- Keynote Speaker, Progressive Gardening Trade Association
- Speaker, Grow2010 Indoor Gardening Trade Show
- Luncheon Speaker, American Marketing Association Colorado Chapter
- Guest Lecturer, University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Video Sample of a Recent Speaking Event at the Tattered Cover Bookstore in Denver, CO
In her pre-aquaponics life, Sylvia was the VP of Marketing, Innovation and Product Development for AeroGrow International, the makers of the AeroGarden (a compact hydroponic garden designed for kitchen countertops). She was one of the company’s original founders and was instrumental in developing the plant growth technology. She has a degree in Agricultural Economics from the University of California, Davis, and an MBA from the University of Chicago.
She lives with her husband, teenage son, and Luna, the Tibetan Terrier in Boulder, Colorado (her daughter is away at college). Her inspiration is a large, thriving aquaponic setup in her backyard greenhouse in Boulder powered by tilapia, goldfish, koi, and other creatures-that-swim.