Hydroton media is the first choice for aquaponic gardeners
The original Hydroton brand expanded clay is a unique, lightweight expanded clay aggregate made in Germany. This natural clay is mined, formed into pellets, then kiln fired at high temperatures to cause the clay to expand into tough, lightweight balls. Clay naturally has balanced capillary action, with an ideal surface structure. Hydroton brand expanded clay is semi-porous and generally does not float like other products can. For best results, rinse all expanded clay before use. It is reusable as long as it is thoroughly cleaned between uses. 50 liter bags feature an easy pour spout. Size specification is 8-16 mm.For best use, rinse before planting.
Compared to gravel HYDROTON® offers the aquaponic gardener many advantages.
- 1/2 the weight of gravel
- The ideal round shape is easy on hands
- Completely inert, pH neutral and does not contain any nutrient (gravel can contain toxic or pH altering materials)
- Porosity creates excellent air and water exchange
- 8-16mm range size.
Compared to soil, peat, coir (coconut fiber) or pearlite HYDROTON® offers many additional advantages.
- It can be used and reused for many years
- Ensures good root aeration.
- Prevents rotting.
- Prevents excess acidity.
- Prevents soil pests.