An Aquaponics Bell Siphon is an elegant way to drain your grow bed in a flood and drain aquaponics system without using a timer to turn your pump on and off.
(Note: The design of this siphon assumes 12″ of media depth. It will not work properly with less than 11″ or more than 13″)
Why use a siphon?
- No more timer – You will no longer need nor want a timer to control your pump. This eliminates:
- The cost of the timer
- The risk of timer failure
- The cost of the electricity needed to run the timer
- Pump runs continuously – Pumps that run continuously suffer less wear and tear. This may result in a longer pump life.
- More aeration – If you are diverting part of your water stream back into your fish tank for aeration, using a siphon to drain your beds will increase the aeration you deliver to your fish tank (since aeration based on diverting a portion of the water stream only works while your pump is running).
- Educational opportunity – A bell siphon is loaded with basic physics and with our window at the top of the Bell, you can see the physics in action. This creates a great opportunity to teach students about partial vacuums, low pressure, pressure equalization, the impact of flow rates on siphon preformance, and the force behind it all – gravity. In fact, if you watch the video below you can see Alan teaching a group of forth graders about the physics of siphons.
Your siphon will come with a view window so you can see the siphon in action. We also include a cover to protect from algae build-up when you aren’t viewing. Perfect for kids, kids at heart, and for diagnosing any problems with water flow through your siphon. Select just above the “Add to Cart” button on the right .
Media Guard Lid Option
For an additional $7 you can add a lid to your media guard to keep the grow media and algae out, and your grow bed looking neat and tidy.
How does it work?
Starting from the point of a drained grow bed, the grow bed will fill with water. When the water level reaches the top of the Funnel inside the Bell, water will start running through the siphon and out through the Drain Pipes and into your tank. Soon, the siphon will “fire”. At this point, the water in your grow bed will be rapidly drawn through the siphon and the water level in your grow bed will rapidly drop all the way to the base of your grow bed. When this happens, air will enter the Bell through the slits at the bottom of the Bell, and the siphon will begin to “break”. When the siphon breaks, water will stop flowing through the Drain Pipes. Since the pump is running continuously, water will immediately begin to fill the grow bed and the cycle will repeat – indefinitely.
Min Qty: 4
For retailers in our Wholesale and Drop Ship programs, please select “No Lid” for the Media Guard Lid option. The bell siphon with the media guard lid is not currently part of our Wholesale or Drop Ship programs.